21 December 2021
Why walking your dog is good for your mental health
Spending time walking your dog ticks lots of boxes when it comes to taking care of your mental health. Here are my top 3 reasons why walking your dog is a great way to take care of your mental wellbeing.
Boosts Your Mood
- You are outside, breathing fresh air and absorbing vitamin D… two of the top mood boosters.
- You are moving your body therefore your endorphins will automatically start to kick in (aka the happy hormone).
- It is a great reason to meet up with a friend to walk together… spending time with someone you like will energise you.
- You are removing yourself from screens which gives your eyes and brain a much needed rest.
Creates Routine & Space
- A daily walk forces you to take time out by ring fencing time for non-negotiable breaks. It is something you can’t put off until tomorrow.
- You are creating a healthy rhythm to your day (and week) where you will operate at a different pace. When out walking you simply can’t be on a call, cook dinner and check emails – you switch gears.
- If you are anything like me, I chat to my dog whilst we are walking… by talk, I mean a full on download! Getting stuff out of your head is always helpful so that it doesn’t fester. A good rant or reflection is a great way to destress. Plus he always agrees with me and never interrupts… the perfect download partner.
Sense of Achievement
- You have done something that’s important to you and has brought joy… your little friend is now sleeping at your feet and there is a sense of happiness and fulfilment all around.